UW Tacoma Husky Card Employee Replacement

Pay the non-refundable $25 replacement fee online. Or, payment can be made in-person (cash or check) at the Cashier's Office.

After paying the fee, you can request a new UW Tacoma Husky Card at the Office of the Registrar (MAT 253). Be sure to bring a copy of your receipt when you go to get your new card. If you forget your receipt, you can retrieve it from the Report section located on the TouchBase dashboard.

For more information about your Dawg Dollars account contact:

UW Tacoma Food Services
Phone: (253) 692-5987
Location: Carlton Center 400
Visit the Office of the Registrar website for more information about getting your UW Tacoma Husky Card, or contact:
UW Tacoma Office of the Registrar
Phone: (253) 692-4913
Location: Mattress Factory 253


After selecting the Make an Online Payment button below, you will be redirected to TouchBase (uw-tacoma.intouchreceipting.com), University of Washington Tacoma's online payment portal. UW students and employees have been set up with TouchBase accounts and can sign in as Returning Users. Then under:

  1.  Follow sign-in instructions and select the top button with your name on it.
  2.  Click on UW Tacoma Student & Employee Items Only found under the Make an Online Payment header.
  3.  Select Husky Card Employee Replacement

Incoming students and employees who are not already set up with a TouchBase account (i.e.Not yet registered) should set up a Guest account.  Follow the Create a Guest Login and then:

Guests can sign in using the Create Guest Login:

  1. Follow the sign-in instructions and create a guest login.
  2. Click on Guest Items At UW Tacoma found under the "Make an Online Payment" header
  3. Click to Continue next to School Type
  4. Select University of Washington - Tacoma
  5. Select Husky Card Employee Replacement
Choose Payment Option: